We make plans and God laughs, so the saying goes.
But, on the other hand, failing to plan is planning to fail, right?
So which is it? Fly by the seat of your pants, or try and project 12 months into the future? When it comes to video, maybe a bit of both.
This year, audiences spent an average of 19 hours a week watching videos online. Ignoring video marketing is no longer an option. So it really makes sense to consider the big picture how does video fit into your overall marketing strategy and also, planning things out can really help you find efficiencies in your content marketing strategy.
But on the other hand, video is an inherently creative process and there has to be room for improvisation, adaptation and… wait for it.. the official word of 2022… “pivoting”.
I had a great call with a client recently who wanted some help with her 2023 strategy. She has a limited budget and wanted to make a few videos that could stretch across the whole year.
Perfect time to plan! With the right script, the right storyboard, and the benefit of time, we can work together to create scenes that can be repurposed over and over or stitched together to make a full video story.
On the other hand, we create a series of videos for one of our regular clients based on the engagement levels of the previous videos. So we’re constantly adapting and yes, pivoting, the creative to respond to new information. Perfect time to be spontaneous!
These days, it doesn’t seem like the past is a very good predictor of the future. Things are coming out of left field on the regular. But one thing that remains constant is relationships. If you build a good relationship with your video supplier, you can have a conversation about your plans (or lack thereof) and rely on their expertise to guide you in the right direction.
With that said here are 8 tips for planning out your video marketing strategy:
1. Update your target audience profile make sure you are well aware of who they are and how and where they will spend their time and money in the next year.
2. Develop key word messaging for your personas. Scripts come later, but general messaging helps a lot at this point.
3. Get buy in from stakeholders. Obviously they can’t sign off on creative, but make them aware of the general strategy and make sure they are on board.
4. Set a timeline and budget for your videos (and discuss with Bee Video Production how to find efficiencies here).
5. Choose the best platform to distribute your video. YouTube is still dominant, with Instagram and LinkedIn also extremely popular, but what about TikTok? Dare I even mention Twitter?
6. Choose your genre. Do you want a live action shoot? Or animated? 7. Decide which metrics you want to track and how you will measure success. Consider partnering with a marketing company that specializes in this area if you haven’t already. 8. Partner with a video production company that understands your needs and has the expertise to tell your story. (us!)
At Bee Video, we don’t produce anything other than videos. We’re subject matter experts when it comes to branded content. So we can give you some tips for making the most of your marketing strategy, which in 2023 is bound to include video. So if you are looking for a video production company in Toronto for your corporate videos, or an animation studio in Toronto for your explainer videos, look no further. Get in touch today for a free consultation. We can talk about budgets, genres, platforms, metrics and of course, our favourite, storytelling.